For almost thirty years, the Gulshan Literacy Programme (GLP) Foundation, also known as GLP, has been providing free and quality education to underprivileged children in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Most of these disadvantaged children belonging to poor families would otherwise be working in different places; often risking their health and lives.
GLP currently runs two schools in Dhaka - one in Gabtoli and another in Badda – with 400 children. The schools follow the national primary school curriculum with an emphasis on extra-curricular activity including learning English. Since 2012, all our grade 5 students and 90% of our Grade 8 students, girls and boys in equal numbers, have achieved A grades in public board examinations. Since 2011 GLP schools have had 100% pass records. The success rates have been impressive as to children graduating from GLP to higher educational institutions and moving onward to better jobs and businesses.
The GLP Foundation integrally relies on private donations to ensure funds go where they are the most needed – investing in children. The mission of the foundation and its schools is to provide education as a life changing opportunity for under-privileged street children living in slum areas. In order to continue supporting these children GLP needs YOUR SUPPORT.
Some possible ways to support GLP
1. SPONSOR A CHILD: Only with 250 dollars/20,000 taka we can meet the educational expenses of a child for a year.
2. BECOME A VOLUNTEER: You may come an teach at GLP schools, anything related to the curriculum and/or something extra-curricular including painting, singing, photography etc;
3. DONATE GOODS: You may sponsor stationery, books, computers and the like for the schools.
5. SCHOOL MAINTENANCE: You may partly contribute to the school rents, maintenance, utilities, teachers’ salaries and training, uniforms and bags, school feeding programs and, funds permitting, scholarships to over 50 GLP high school students.
6. Any other contributions – in cash and in kind - would be greatly appreciated.
GLP Foundation Management